Hangs out in the sci.* hierarchy, as in sci.physics . "NASA's exclusive goal, ambition and aim must be the reorbiting Venus into Earth's orbit by the year 2004. Otherwise NASA will lose its viability. That wee should not permit ! never ! never !" Is convinced that altering Earth's orbit and tilt is the only way to cure humanity of its evil deviance; puts subject lines in ALL CAPS. In Real Life tm, is a retired tenured math professor at a Iowa State U. A miniFAQ of Abian, critiqued MST3K style, is available. Has been interviewed by the BBC, and broadcast...

Aiee. How Soon They Forget (tm). The "scientist" in question was/is none other than Alexander Abian. Yes, he may have moved on to "reorbiting Venus to make it a born-again Earth", but he began on a smaller scale, closer to home.

...you forgot to mention that you can also find Dr. Abian's work in the Weekly World News from time to time. Yes, the bastion of supermarket journalism has indeed employed our own Dr. Abian for what nefarious purposes I can not remember. But ooh, it was a doozy!


The above was shamelessly lifted from the net.legends FAQ. Unfortunately Dr Abian has died. The entry doesn't talk about all the good stuff he has done with set theory. Perhaps proof that you can be a kook in one field and respected in another.

In the interests of content I'm also including the following extracted from a letter I wrote to Rimma Abian with regards to her father. (Original spelling retained)


When I first came to usenet I read the pyhsics newsgroups because that was what I was interested in. Thats where I first encounted your father, a person I found faciniting. In his writing I found an intelegent person advocating what was a very non-mainstreem view.

I watched him talk and interact balencing the points he made and the points that others made. It was my first experence of usenet, and one that remains with me to this day. Threw that period I matured and learned much, I owe alot to Usenet and by extention alot to your father. I am who I am because of your father, I am a better person because of your father. I may call him a kook but he was a good person and a person who made the world a better place.