Lesson: You Cannot Hitch Rides with Postal Trucks in New York State


(For reference purposes, QuietLight is a 16 year old male sophmore with only 2 days left of school)

Now, of course you're wondering "Who would ever even want to?" Well, me. I have to walk to school for my Regents exams (Regents are NY's name for state testing), because our school district does not hire buses for less-than-full days of school. Whoopie. For me, the walk is not that bad; about a half hour walking, 15 minutes at full throttle.

I was about half way there, when I saw a string of 6 postal trucks coming down the street in a row in the other lane. As a joke, I put out a thumbs up, the symbol for someone that wants to hitch a ride, as the first one began to pass. They went by...
the first...
the second...
the third...
the fourth...
the fifth...
the... Oh no. This is bad. Really bad. The sixth one stopped. Aaugh! This was not supposed to happen! Either I was in trouble, or I was now going to have to get a ride from a mailman that is heading in the opposite direction and be late for the test. PANIC!

Luckily, he was laughing, meaning that he had a sense of humor. He pulled over, got out and walked across the street to me.

Mailman: "You looking for a ride, kid?"
Me: "Um...well-"
Mailman: "Your a funny kid, you know that? Sorry though. Those vans only have one seat. Here, lemme show you..." and he motions me over to the van across the street. I follow. Why? I dont know. Why not...
When I get over, I notice that the other seat in the van is ripped out, and it's replaced with a large set of divided boxes with mail in them.
Me: "Oh, darn... ok, I guess I have to walk then. Thanks anyway!"
Mailman: "S'ok, we get people tryin' to hitch from us often."

I didn't think much of it at the moment, but about when I arrived at school it hit me. "We get people tryin' to hitch from us often"? Meaning that there were more fools than I that have tried to flag down a mailman? I laughed to myself, and returned to contemplating chemistry for my test.

Moral: Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to flag down a United States Postal Truck in an attempt to gain free transportation. It does not work.

Then again, it gives a bored mailman a laugh. Well, try it if you want to, but don't say I didn't warn you.