Setting and symbolism are key elements in developing a character and his motives. Richard Wright’s Native Son places the protagonist Bigger Thomas in a situation that reflects and helps to cause his actions. Symbolism exposes ideas about Bigger and his murdering of two girls. Symbolism and setting show some of his history, how and why he turned to violence. If one has a history of aggression and alienation, one may seek revenge against a bigoted society as a product of his or her environment.

Early 1900’s Chicago is a city in the north that would not usually be connected to racism as much as a southern city would. Wright is showing how racism is inherent in every city in every state, and that the systematic discrimination can lead to many Bigger Thomases. As simply as the season, white supremacy and its unavoidable influence on society blankets the city with “flakes of white” snow. Whenever Bigger approaches the white world or runs into something new, it begins to snow. This is the white influence he cannot escape, it is everywhere he turns. When Bigger is caught by the whites he is among them, just as he is “dragged over the snow” and eventually ends up “deep down in the snow.” It is his inability to escape this white influence that aggravates Bigger, forcing him to use violence as an outlet and a weapon against an oppressive white society.

The times and mindsets of people represent a setting which makes Bigger want to hurt an environment that created him. Capitalism, for one, is an inherent part of society all around Bigger, and he is not able to participate. Wherever he looked, new, “sleek cars zoomed past”, cars which symbolized capitalism. Bigger “wanted to be an aviator once, but he is not able to participate in business because “they don’t want us to.” Capitalism is an exclusively white affair in this setting and any setting; most others are discrimiinated against. Bigger is isolated from any kind of white society. The early Red Scare is also going on during this time period, as Bigger thinks it is easy and viable to blame the communists for his crimes. Britten also trie to blame the communist party, saying to Bigger: “you are a communist!” Suspicions and tensions are high surrounding the conflicts between Capitalism and communism. Individual symbols within Native Son are few yet significant in illustrating Bigger’s feelings. The furnace burns “red-hot” as it “gleamed in the crimson darkness”. The red symbolizes the blood and violence that Bigger has turned to, and that anyone before him has turned to. Violence and oppression before Bigger’s time have only perpetuated his situation. Blacks have been historically prejudiced against since the beginning of the country. The color red also becomes a reminder of the communist factor that Bigger and the papers have brought up. The furnace itself is a constant harbinger of Bigger’s guilt for having killed, along with the unavoidable consequences. “The furnace droned”, as it carries the key peice of incriminating evidence, the bone chip. The furnace brings all the consequences upon Bigger. Without it, no one would have ever discovered his crimes.

The Dalton’s white cat symbolizes the suspicion put on Bigger because of only his skin color, even though he thinks no one suspects him. Bigger feels the “two green burning pools – pools of accusation and guilt” upon him, the eyes of “the white cat.” The cat returns to accuse him when the press is snapping pictures, also immortalizing his guilt, “with the cat poised on his shoulder.” Bigger has constantly felt this accusation because of the white society he lives in and his skin color which seperates him from all whites and their advantages.

Bigger feels the accusations of others and their suspicions all his life, leading to massive guilt. His surroundings and situation have only added to his aggression. He was forced to strike back. When someone has a history of aggression and alienation, he or she could seek revenge against a bigoted society as a product the person’s environment.