If it seems as though work has taken over my life, it's because it has.

The boss tried to send me home early today to get to a dentist and get my teeth fixed. There was a time when I would have jumped at the chance to go home early - especially with me being on salary and all. Nowadays, however, I have found myself becoming more and more dedicated the department I run and the company that employs me. Where was this person I've become, ten years ago? What happened to those lazy-crazy-hazy days of post-adolescence when getting out of bed was the most difficult chore of the day, and not being employed meant more time for television and games?

I grew up.

Without even realizing it, somewhere along the line, I grew up. A decade ago, I worked only when I had to, as little as I could. But my priorities have changed. Not much - I'm still into cartoons, video games and having fun. But now that's what I do in my spare time, instead of the other way around.

I always swore that I would never grow up. I used to own a sweatshirt that declared that I was a "Toys'R'Us" kid, and I wore it as a badge of honour, played with Legos, watched cartoons and mastered the latest video games - and that was after people stopped carding me for liquor.

I'm still a kid at heart - but now my toys are computers and cars. I spend more time at work than I do at home and asleep combined. And I don't even know why I'm doing it.

I grew up.