Worship was a legendary- at least, to followers of the genre- Belgian Funeral Doom metal band who debuted in 1999 with the Last Tape Before Doomsday, also released as a record in 2001 under the title Last Vinyl Before Doomsday; the band consisted of the German Daniel Pharos, and the French vocalist, the dead Max Varnier. The band played extremely slowly, with spoken and growled lyrics in English, French, and German. The music is melodic, but extremely melancholic, using only heavy guitar in long, slow riffs, a drum machine, and very occasional piano.

Max committed suicide on a holiday in Canada on July the 21st 2001 by jumping from a high bridge into the Saskatchewan river. Daniel has continued with the band, posthumously rereleasing the album as the Last CD Before Doomsday with an extra song in 2004. He claims to be working on a new album that should be due in 2006.

Most of Worship's works are extremely hard to find, as they were only recorded on vinyl, and only in small numbers; a large number of these were destroyed by Max's parents after his suicide. Almost all of the copies of the split with Agathocles were destroyed, making it one of the rarest and most sought-after albums of all.


bq2006