To add to the above geek references:
  • Is it just me, or does the 'be' in the 'To Be Continued' at the end of every episode look a lot like the old logo for Be (the company behind BeOS)?
  • In at least one of the earlier episodes, the blackboard in Lain's classroom has C code on it.


  • Magenta: Could you be a bit more specific with your criticisms? Lain is by no means perfect, but I personally found it to be pretty good. Now, I haven't seen Ghost in the Shell or Akira in a long time, but from what I remember, Ghost in the Shell didn't have a network changing reality so much as a single artificial intelligence challenging the definition of what is and is not sentient; and the 'powers' exhibited by some characters in Akira had nothing to do with hormones. (For that matter, what kids have powers in Lain, hormone-based or otherwise?)

    Are you watching the dubbed or subbed version? Voice acting in dubs is usually less than wonderful, in my experience. But are there specificproblems you have with the writing/sound/direction, or do they just not seem right to you?

    I saw Perfect Blue a couple days ago. It was very good, but I'd tend to prefer Lain myself, though only by a slight margin, mostly due to the subject matter than any stylistic differences. And what do you mean by 'techno-bullshit explanations for real world stuff'? I didn't notice anything like that when I watched it, so could you give an example?

    I'm not trying to flame here, I'm just curious as to what exactly you're basing your conclusions on.