Repentance

Note: These scripture references are in The Book of Mormon, and The Bible 'Old and New Testaments. I wrote the italics, after copying down the scripture, I hope this understanding of the repentence process in life it self. This was not just made for the LDS faith.'

These teachings are of the faith of Christian. Through Jesus Christ, repentance is possible.

Repentance is the process of forsaking your transgressions or sins. The first step is admitting you have done wrong. The second step is pray and ask for forgiveness and apologize to any you have done the wrong to. The third step is making the wrong into a right, as where you help to fix the problem by doing good in place of evil. The fourth step is promising to never do the sin again, and God forgets you have ever done it.

Alma 36: 12-16,17-21
12 But I was racked with eternal torment, for my soul was harrowed up to the greatest degree and racked with all my sins.
13 Yea, I did remember all my sins and iniquities, for which I was tormented with the pains of hell; yea, I saw that I had rebelled against my God, and that I had not kept his holy commandments.
14 Yea, and I had murdered many of his children, or rather led them away unto destruction; yea, and in fine so great had been my iniquities, that the very thought of coming into the presence of my God did rack my soul with inexpressible horror.
15 Oh, thought I, that I could be banished and become extinct both soul and body, that I might not be brought to stand in the presencer of my God, to be judged of my deeds.
16 And now, for three days and for three nights was I racked, even with the pains of a damned soul.
17 And it came to pass that as I was thus racked with torment, while I was harrowed up by the memory of my many sins, behold, I remembered also to have heard my father prophesy unto the people concerning the coming of one Jesus Christ, a Son of God, to atone for the sins of the world.
18 Now, as my mind caught hold upon this thought, I cried within my heart: O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me, who am in the gall of bitterness, and am encircled about by the everlasting chains of death.
19 And now, behold, when I thought this, I could remember my pains no more; yea, I was harrowed up by the memory of my sins no more.
20 And oh, what joy, and what marvelous light I did behold; yea, my soul was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!
21 Yea, I say unto you, my son, that there could be nothing so exquisite and so bitter as were my pains. Yea, and again I say unto you, my son, that on the other hand, there can be nothing so exquisite and sweet as was my joy.
These things came to pass, as Alma and Alma The Younger spoke and rejoiced in the knowledge that they sinned no more. As ridding your self of sin is happiness.

Proverbs 28:13
13 He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsakeththem shall have mercy.
Yet again it is preached that repenting is for your own sake. Grasping wrong doings and sin only brings missery, while repenting brings mercy and love.

Isiah 55:(7), 8-9
7 Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon.
Even your thoughts of doing evil are bad, thinking of killing will lead up to killing. Stop the thoughts from entering your mind by submitting your self to a good envirement .

Alma 39:9, Read the Foot Note b
9 Now my son, I would that ye should repent and forsake your sins, and go no more after the lusts of your eyes, but cross "Foot note b, Cross is to be self mastered." yourself in all these things; for except ye do this ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God. Oh, remember, and take it upon you, and cross yourself in these things.
Eternal life is brought by being sinless.

D&C 58:43, 82:7
43 By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins--behold, he will confess them and forsake them.
7 And now, verily I say unto you, I, the Lord, will not lay any sin to your charge; go your ways and sin no more; but unto that soul who sinneth shall the former sins return, saith the Lord your God.
God will forget your sins as so should you when you repent. Be wise to repent, because confessing the sinwill take the burden off. Who wants an extra burden every day?

Italics Added by me to help further understand the scripture and doctrine.