compiled overview of the 20 ton Stinger 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



First designed after Earthwerks won the bid against General Mechanics Incorporated (the designers of the WSP-1A Wasp), the Stinger STG-3R was put into production along with the Wasp because of the great need for light scouts and also because of the similarities in the design of the two 'Mechs.

In 2479, the first Stingers came off the assembly line. In the next four centuries, nearly 200,000 more units would be constructed. Estimates place the number of operational Stingers currently used by the Successor States at 5,000 or more. Indeed, the 'Mech is still being produced in a number of facilities both in and out of the Inner Sphere.

The Stinger was designed as a scout and reconnaissance 'Mech, although it is also used as a training 'Mech in some MechWarrior academies, replacing the TRC-4B Chameleon. The Stinger is lightly armored and mounts limited weapons. Its speed and maneuverability, however, make it a difficult target and a tough 'Mech to pin down.

The Stinger mounts an Omicron 3000 medium laser in its right arm, and two LFN Linblad machine guns on the right and left forearm. Though the Stinger's armor is minimal, it is considered average for light 'Mechs. Its real defensive strength lies in its speed and maneuverability. With maximum speeds surpassing 90kph and the powerful jump capability of its Chilton 360 jump jets, the Stinger can get itself out of most tight spots.

Overheating is never a problem with the Stinger design. The coolant jackets of the Linblad machine guns effectively block all heat emissions from those weapons, and the heat buildup from the Omicron 3000 medium laser is minor. Even with its jump jets firing continuously, the Stinger can't develope heat problems unless conditions outside the 'mech are extreme.

One of the biggest complaints of Stinger pilots is the cramped cockpit space. Many times, a pilot must literally squeeze himself into the control seat, and then often can't get out again without help from his technician.

Here is a little Stinger related love story of sorts:

Elements of Wolf's Dragoons raided the Davion planet of Doneval II in 3021. During the raid, a party of cadets of the Meistmore Mechwarrior Academy were training on Stingers in a deserted area of the planet, where they were ambushed by a lance of the elite Black Widow Company of Wolf's Dragoons. Almost immediately, the cadet's instructor was put out of action.

The cadets ran for cover, with only the Wasp of the Black Widow Company keeping up. It happened that the first cadet disabled was a woman to whom each of the other four cadets was attracted. Though she ejected successfully, the Black Widow Wasp was quickly upon her. As one, the other four cadets turned around to engage the Wasp, knocking it out before it could get to the girl. The cadets then picked her up, and ran into the wilderness before the heavy enemy 'Mechs could come into range. It was said that the pilot of the Black Widow Wasp nearly died of shame to be taken by 'a bunch of kids'.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.