Hello. It's a Wednesday like any other, and I'm wearing a skirt.

It's not a particularly interesting skirt. In fact, I deliberately chose the most plain skirt I could find when I went shopping for one. That is not to say that it's a homely skirt by any means, simply plain. It's straight, ankle-length, and completely black, so that it may be easier to match with the rest of my wardrobe. It was a bit too wide at the hips when I first bought it, so I took it to a tailor who modified it to my size, seeing how I'm not the kind of person who would have wide hips.

There is nothing about this skirt that could in any way be construed as feminine. That's deliberate too. It's simple and long. It has absolutely no decorations, though I do own another skirt from Thailand that is richly geometrical. There is no lace, no colour but black, no real shaping to speak of unless you want to count the modifications my tailor made in order to reduce the measurements around the hips. It's just as straight and narrow as I am.

So why am I wearing it? I suppose that at a very superficial level, I am exploiting the stereotype of the eccentric mathematician. Simply because I like to do mathematics, I'm allowed to be a deviant freak. It's perhaps a cheap method for attracting attention from people around me, although it's valid too, I suppose. Unsurprisingly, it's mostly males who give me any notice, though not exclusively. A couple of close male friends are allowed to make jokes about how I look like a sissy, or if I'm going to start wearing lipstick and high heels any time soon. I'm not, and I appreciate their jesting. It is, after all, a little silly that a Westerner male should wear a skirt for ordinary day-to-day affairs such as school is.

At another level, I do it because sometimes I just like to be a lawful troublemaker. After all, there is really nothing feminine about this skirt, and even if there were, there is no legal or moral forbiddance about men wearing skirts, except that most Westerners have certain unwritten societal norms about the proper attire for males and females. It has been quietly decreed that for public life men must wear fabric which clearly separates the two legs, and that anything else is simply not done. I revolt against quiet decrees, partly for fun, but partly out of a conviction of liberalism and in order to emphasise that I can do whatever I damn well please so long as nobody's put in harm's way by my actions.

Then there's the abstract ideological level at which I am wearing this skirt in the name of all the women who in the past, nary a century ago, wanted to wear trousers for numerous reasons. This is my retroactive celebration and recognition of those trailblazers who wanted to push the limits of fashion as a political statement. I know my situation is different, that I'm in the majority and that nobody is oppressing me by virtue of my sex, and that perhaps some may think that it is hypocritical of me to sympathise with a cause that's not my own by wearing a skirt as a symbol of camaraderie with such illustrious figures.

But let's not take anything too seriously. I am wearing this skirt because it's fun, because it's a little silly, but also because it's comfortable (c'mon, boys, try it out, wear a skirt, take a step, whoooosh! feel how the fabric moves the air around your legs, taste the freedom!), and damnit, because I look good in it. Yeah, hell, why not, I'll say it: my ass looks hot in a skirt. This accompanying dark forest green long-sleeved tee-shirt matches it nicely, plus black sandals don't look so bad with a black skirt, even if I'm wearing black socks and sandals in true mathematician fashion.

I like my skirt.