Any reaction used to counter a norm is itself a trend. That can't be avoided. Underground and unacknowleged, but still, if it has any following, it's considered a trend. I do the same thing, jeremy_f. I deliberately refuse to wear any clothing with visible logos. I try not to attach stigmas with clothing, but often it can't be helped when those stereotypical people are coincidentally the people that draw the most attention to themselves or annoy you the most (both are applicable from my experience). Sometimes, the logos I do wear I do out of spite. In New Orleans, one big deal is the Tobasco logo, since it's supposed that the peppers used in it are grown only in Louisiana. To combat this and the fact that I hate spicy food and Tobasco equally, I own a Heinz Ketchup t-shirt. House of Blues logos are prominent here also, but the only clothing I wear bearing its name is a t-shirt that has been pulled from their clothing store because the Catholic Church opposed the use of the Sacred Heart in its design.

To also see no_comply's side, you need to realize that those who object to logo-laden clothing are assuming that while they are putting thought in what they wear, those who wear Hilfiger or Polo do not. You don't have to think about what you're wearing in order to like it, but it's different for different people. I must admit, people who wear mass-promoted gear have to work a little harder to prove to me that they aren't like everyone else, simply because they all look alike. It's a fair assumption. We are taught to single out people who don't fit in from as far back as Sesame Street in that little skit one of these things does not look like the others. Whether we carry this trait past high school is of course, our own choice. If we do choose to keep it, we must back it up with a little intellect, because there is sense in it. I've lived in this media led world long enough to see few examples where the stereotypes haven't been true. And I will likely voice this irritation. But everyone gets a fair chance to prove me wrong, and if they feel they have nothing to prove, that's fine too. But what I feel I have to prove comes out in many ways, and what I wear is one of them.