... all that guff... do you ever think it might be nice to have that? If so, to that extent love is memetic.

Sorry, but that's like saying that the fact that one can feel hunger while watching others enjoy food makes hunger memetic. One can only take Dawkins so far - hunger is still a biological function, in the same way that sex is (while watching others make love, e.g. in a movie, one might feel a sexual urge).

We mustn't forget that the study of memetics itself is a meme - a very successful one with people who pride themselves on their intellectual prowess and understanding, because it provides an extra layer of opportunity to view the world in a rationalist manner. It is not, however, a carved in stone fact of the universe, not even to the often debated extent which the theory of evolution is.

As such I would say that the question in the title of this node is not even a valid starting point for a discussion of love. First one must ask oneself, to which extent do memetics in general apply to non-rational, subjective feelings? How much is one prepared to accept that an external stimulus is able to provoke an emotion in one?

It's all very well to say that certain emotions are "caused" by certain hormones - but all we know for a fact is that those hormones are present in people who give the subjective evidence of experiencing an emotion. While I am not out to discredit the study of hormonal function, a question almost begs itself: what happens within the human mind to turn a chemical reaction into an all consuming passion? What is emotion, what is it made of, what distillable qualities does it have?

Love is older even than Roman lyricism - as Gritchka rightly points out, it was prevalent in Helenic myth and was worshipped as a god (see Plato's "The Feast"). There are still more mentions of it in the OT and in Egyptian and Mesopotamian literature.

Although it is my personal belief that love is a force of its own, akin to highly stilized ideas of a benevolent God, that is not the case I'm making here today. What I think important in these surroundings and in this company is to provide people with an alternative to the practice of analyzing human existence beyond the point of instinctive recognition - alienating what, whether real or perceived, is at the foundation of our very being.

In slightly less pretentious terms - who cares? Love is good.