The series has also been developed into a movie version, which has also been released on a Region Code 1 DVD under the title: Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Movie.

The movie is a complete overhaul of the series, as it featues new character designs, a different and condensed storyline and slight changes in the roles some characters play. The movie is not a simple cut-job of the series, but an entirely new animation. The scenery is even more spaced out and spectacular than in the series, the architecture of the school now actually moves during some scenes.

The basic plot remains similar to that of the series, but has been cleaned up and simplified for the movie version. Some characters have entirely new roles, some are left out, but are hinted at in some way during the movie (Example: Chu-chu and Nanami). This actually means that even for those who have seen the series, the movie holds quite a lot of surprises. The ending has been changed completely, but without spoiling it, I can't really say more than "Pink Sportscar" and "Chase scene".

Unlike -brazil- I thoroughly enjoyed the series and it's strangeness, but the movie surpasses that by far, and blew me away. I give the movie two thumbs up. It's shoujo, but not like you have seen it before...