It is my feeling that this node is in dire need of an actual woman’s opinion. Of course I am unable to speak for all womankind, but I think my commentary is of value on this subject.

I do not enjoy most shopping at all. I am unable to “browse.” When I need something, I go out, buy that item only, and return home. I then proceed to wear it out until it is quite unusable, and replace it only when necessary. (I do “gather,” but in the literal sense. I go out every summer on day-long raspberry-picking expeditions. But the fact that my fellow women are mostly reluctant to accompany me makes me feel less than certain that I’m being driven to forage by my hormones.)

But I do appreciate beauty, and I find it in the junction of embellishment and utility. Think of a good shoe, for a moment: it has to fit almost perfectly, be able to adapt to the wearer’s foot and gait, and be uncommonly resistant to wear. It is also extremely small: even the largest shoes provide only the tiniest surface area as a canvas for style, when compared to a blouse or a dress. Yet despite all this, many shoes for women manage to be remarkably beautiful. They have sleek shape, rich texture and color, and creative detail built around their necessary elements. Men's shoes tend to take the more purely utilitarian route; they are strictly comfortable, or at best polished and businesslike. (There are beautiful shoes for men, but there are so few occasions for their use that owning more than one pair is not usually necessary.)

In order to be presentable and comfortable in most situations, I need my loafers, sneakers, running shoes, and flip-flops. So I have one pair of each. I do not, however, strictly need to own four pairs of dress shoes. But I own them, because they are lovely objects. They were expensive, premeditated purchases which were the sole objects and results of the shopping trips they engendered. They add grace to my walk and style to my outfit, without being unduly uncomfortable. I find them beautiful, and I derive great pleasure from them. In short, my opinion on why women often seem to own ridiculous numbers of shoes is that women’s shoes, being beautiful, are worth owning for reasons beyond those of necessity.