12:27

Warning: Strong language (But I hope the stuff here is rational...)

Random comments on Opera web browser, version 5.0 for Linux (Got this because Mozilla probably doesn't run too well on this P166 machine in Kuhmo and NS4.7 stinks):

  • Qt user interface is NOT something I would think highly of. (No, it's not just old license grudges... I don't like the default Windows-like look.)
  • "Identify as MSIE 5" as default. Ick-ack-grr-ouch. Spoofing as another browser is a bad idea... and spoofing the Behemoth makes it only worse.
  • Configuration was a nightmare. I wanted to set my home page. Spent 10 minutes looking around the preferences (that were helpfully put under the File menu, I wonder what the preferences have to do with files anyway)... oh, the damn thing was in completely different menu (Navigation > Set home page...).
  • MDI sucks. It really does.
  • Speaking of MDI: If I keep the actual page windows maximized, and a popup appears... yes, the window shrinks. Brilliant? NOT.
  • It doesn't render PNGs correctly - doesn't have any clue about alpha channel. (Surprise surprise...) This is 2001.
  • I'm NOT a fan of shareware - and even less a fan of adware. These banners make me feel dizzy.
  • Status and window bars in the top as default... blah.
  • Location bar hidden while loading. Need to hit Stop before typing new URL in case I change my mind while page is loading...
  • Everything - including links I followed - go to the URL bar history. Netscape only put the URLs that I had typed in there, and even that was too much IMHO (I didn't want 404s to go there.)
  • HTML and CSS rendering appears to be as good as what Mozilla does. Good, that...
  • Popup window management isn't nice. Allow open, open in window, or open in background - but no option to disallow the damn thing. (AFAIK Mozilla has this, but it didn't have UI for it yet...)

Summary:

  • Generally, UI sucks.
  • PNG rendering sucks.
  • Banner ads suck.
  • It IS better than NS4, however. Anything can beat NS4's HTML and CSS engines... =)

14:34

Hmm, I was not able to post that rant for one reason only: Couldn't get to E2 via this dialup... and when I ssh'd to the university and lynxed from there, I noticed that Cheese Worm had went to front page Cream of the Cool.

Heh... strange. =)

In a few hours I'm again on my way to Oulu...

14:46

E2 accepts donations via PayPal now?

=(

Too bad that service smells like <fake russian accent> amerikan kapitalist ploy.</accent> I guess none of the local banks (mine included) know anything about them, and I don't have a credit card.

Plus, I'm just a poor student. And foreign payments cost even more...

I would be glad to help to combat the lag, but I guess it's not possible with my financial status...

23:02

Okay, I'm home now... just having a minor headache, nothing seriously serious.


Other day logs o' mine...

(Not noded much... updated things a bit earlier today but that's about that.)