Apt (#), a [F. apte, L. aptus, fr. obsolete apere to fasten, to join, to fit, akin to apisci to reach, attain: cf. Gr. to fasten, Skr. apta fit, fr. ap to reach attain.]

1.

Fit or fitted; suited; suitable; appropriate.

They have always apt instruments. Burke.

A river . . . apt to be forded by a lamb. Jer. Taylor.

2.

Having an habitual tendency; habitually liable or likely; -- used of things.

My vines and peaches . . . were apt to have a soot or smuttiness upon their leaves and fruit. Temple.

This tree, if unprotected, is apt to be stripped of the leaves by a leaf-cutting ant. Lubbock.

3.

Inclined; disposed customarily; given; ready; -- used of persons.

Apter to give than thou wit be to ask. Beau. & Fl.

That lofty pity with which prosperous folk are apt to remember their grandfathers. F. Harrison.

4.

Ready; especially fitted or qualified (to do something); quick to learn; prompt; expert; as, a pupil apt to learn; an apt scholar.

"An apt wit."

Johnson.

Live a thousand years, I shall not find myself so apt to die. Shak.

I find thee apt . . . Now, Hamlet, hear. Shak.

Syn. -- Fit; meet; suitable; qualified; inclined; disposed; liable; ready; quick; prompt.

 

© Webster 1913.


Apt, v. t. [L. aptare. See Aptate.]

To fit; to suit; to adapt.

[Obs.] " To apt their places."

B. Jonson.

That our speech be apted to edification. Jer. Taylor.

 

© Webster 1913.