While (?), n. [AS. hwil; akin to OS. hwil, hwila, OFries. hwile, D. wigl, G. weile, OHG. wila, hwila, hwil, Icel. hvila a bed, hvild rest, Sw. hvila, Dan. hvile, Goth. hweila a time, and probably to L. quietus quiet, and perhaps to Gr. the proper time of season. Cf. Quiet, Whilom.]

1.

Space of time, or continued duration, esp. when short; a time; as, one while we thought him innocent.

"All this while."

Shak.

This mighty queen may no while endure. Chaucer.

[Some guest that] hath outside his welcome while, And tells the jest without the smile. Coleridge.

I will go forth and breathe the air a while. Longfellow.

2.

That which requires time; labor; pains.

[Obs.]

Satan . . . cast him how he might quite her while. Chaucer.

At whiles, at times; at intervals.

And so on us at whiles it falls, to claim Powers that we dread. J. H. Newman.

-- The while, The whiles, in or during the time that; meantime; while. Tennyson. -- Within a while, in a short time; soon. -- Worth while, worth the time which it requires; worth the time and pains; hence, worth the expense; as, it is not always worth while for a man to prosecute for small debts.

 

© Webster 1913.


While, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Whiled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Whiling.]

To cause to pass away pleasantly or without irksomeness or disgust; to spend or pass; -- usually followed by away.

The lovely lady whiled the hours away. Longfellow.

 

© Webster 1913.


While, v. i.

To loiter.

[R.]

Spectator.

 

© Webster 1913.


While, conj.

1.

During the time that; as long as; whilst; at the same time that; as, while I write, you sleep.

"While I have time and space."

Chaucer.

Use your memory; you will sensibly experience a gradual improvement, while you take care not to overload it. I. Watts.

2.

Hence, under which circumstances; in which case; though; whereas.

While as, While that, during or at the time that. [Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.


While, prep.

Until; till.

[Obs. or Prov. Eng. & Scot.]

I may be conveyed into your chamber; I'll lie under your bed while midnight. Beau. & Fl.

 

© Webster 1913.