Mouth (?), n.; pl. Mouths (#). [OE. mouth, mu, AS. m; akin to D. mond, OS. m, G. mund, Icel. mur, munnr, Sw. mun, Dan. mund, Goth. muns, and possibly L. mentum chin; or cf. D. muil mouth, muzzle, G. maul, OHG. mla, Icel. mli, and Skr. mukha mouth.]

1.

The opening through which an animal receives food; the aperture between the jaws or between the lips; also, the cavity, containing the tongue and teeth, between the lips and the pharynx; the buccal cavity.

2. Hence:

An opening affording entrance or exit; orifice; aperture;

as: (a)

The opening of a vessel by which it is filled or emptied, charged or discharged; as, the mouth of a jar or pitcher; the mouth of the lacteal vessels, etc.

(b)

The opening or entrance of any cavity, as a cave, pit, well, or den.

(c)

The opening of a piece of ordnance, through which it is discharged.

(d)

The opening through which the waters of a river or any stream are discharged.

(e)

The entrance into a harbor.

3. Saddlery

The crosspiece of a bridle bit, which enters the mouth of an animal.

4.

A principal speaker; one who utters the common opinion; a mouthpiece.

Every coffeehouse has some particular statesman belonging to it, who is the mouth of the street where he lives. Addison.

5.

Cry; voice.

[Obs.]

Dryden.

6.

Speech; language; testimony.

That in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. Matt. xviii. 16.

7.

A wry face; a grimace; a mow.

Counterfeit sad looks, Make mouths upon me when I turn my back. Shak.

Down in the mouth, chapfallen; of dejected countenance; depressed; discouraged. [Obs. or Colloq.] -- Mouth friend, one who professes friendship insincerely. Shak. -- Mouth glass, a small mirror for inspecting the mouth or teeth. -- Mouth honor, honor given in words, but not felt. Shak. -- Mouth organ. Mus. (a) Pan's pipes. See Pandean. (b) An harmonicon. -- Mouth pipe, an organ pipe with a lip or plate to cut the escaping air and make a sound. -- To stop the mouth, to silence or be silent; to put to shame; to confound.

The mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped. Ps. lxiii. 11.

Whose mouths must be stopped. Titus i. 11.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mouth (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mouthed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Mouthing.]

1.

To take into the mouth; to seize or grind with the mouth or teeth; to chew; to devour.

Dryden.

2.

To utter with a voice affectedly big or swelling; to speak in a strained or unnaturally sonorous manner.

"Mouthing big phrases."

Hare.

Mouthing out his hollow oes and aes. Tennyson.

3.

To form or cleanse with the mouth; to lick, as a bear her cub.

Sir T. Browne.

4.

To make mouths at.

[R.]

R. Blair.

 

© Webster 1913.


Mouth, v. i.

1.

To speak with a full, round, or loud, affected voice; to vociferate; to rant.

I'll bellow out for Rome, and for my country, And mouth at Caesar, till I shake the senate. Addison.

2.

To put mouth to mouth; to kiss.

[R.]

Shak.

3.

To make grimaces, esp. in ridicule or contempt.

Well I know, when I am gone, How she mouths behind my back. Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913.