Heston Blumenthal is a chef, scientist and TV personality. He specialises in applying the scientific method to the production of food, which can result in things that are either very scrumptious or very weird. He owns three buildings, The Fat Duck where he serves his inventions, a traditional pub selling traditional food and a kitchen for his experiments.

In his first major TV series, he tried to use the scientific method along with observations to perfect various foods from British culture. In one episode, he tried to rejuvenate the Black Forest gateau. When he asked people, very few people would consider the gateau to be a classy dish. However, when they first came to Britain from Germany, they were seen as being very classy. Heston believes that mass produced Black Forest gateaus give a false impression of what the dish is like. Using evidence from the original gateaus from Germany (which are very classy, and very alcoholic) and his own novel ideas (such as adding aerated chocolate and nougat into the layers and coating it in chocolate, making it almost like an upper class mars bar) he creates something that is very classy, and is served at The Fat Duck, and to a known source it is supposedly wonderful. He also introduced the idea of carbonating batter to make it crunchier. Why, because crunchiness is often caused by the destruction of cavities in the food created by air pockets, so in making more air pockets, the crunchier it becomes.

Some time after this first series, he became involved in media frenzy due to a food poisoning outbreak at The Fat Duck. Heston was not at the said restaurant at the time, so it is possible that there are certain dishes that only he really understands and when other chefs and commie-chefs attempt them, disaster strikes.

Heston managed to survive the media onslaught, and was later involved in an Unholy trinity. That being Waitrose, himself and Delia Smith. Essentially, Delia and Heston would make dishes on Waitrose adverts using Waitrose products, and Waitrose would sponsor their respective TV programs and they would use Waitrose products as part of their recipes. Sounds okay, although it was criticized for blurring the line between program and advert, which is a crime. However, no further problems have occurred from this decision.

In Heston's next series, he prepared feasts for notable persons based on certain periods in history. Whilst the previous series had been about producing scrumptious food, this series created some thoroughly weird foods. One time he prepared a Roman style feast, in which he made pork scratchings made from the sows nipples and met a man who could play a trumpet made from parma ham. At a later episode, he made a "60s style feast in which he served the patrons heavier than air gas to make their voices deep, made Duck a l'Orange in the shape of fruit pastels and tried to out bid a group of Italians over a box of mushrooms related to magic mushrooms (Heston goes to Italy quite a lot). Some of his guests were equally eccentric, for example Lord Bath Jr, owner of the Longleat estate and considered by many members of the public, due to his colourful attire and spaced out personality, to be something of an elderly, upper class hippy.

Heston continues to be active.


By cabonating batter, I mean sticking the batter it what looks like a fire hydrant that adds lots of CO2 into the batter, and then sprays it out (almost) when you pull the leaver.