Mia still believes in the tooth fairy. I tried to tell her she isn't real, but when Mia thinks something's real, it's tough trying to convince her.

"It's fake," I said.

"I am not!" said the tooth fairy. She was the size of Tinkerbell and hovered over Mia's shoulder.

"Mia," I said. "Why would fairies want teeth?"

Mia looked at the fairy expectantly.

"I give them to babies who don't have teeth," said the fairy. "Like your grandma told you."

"Teeth come from our heads," I said. "They're like bones. There's a picture at the dentist office, remember?"

Mia frowned. "I think so..."

"Don't listen!" said the fairy. "He's lying!"

"He wouldn't lie to me!"

"Well not lying," the fairy said hurriedly. "I just meant he was misinformed."

"We can use mom's computer right now and look it up, Mia. Fairies aren't real."

"No, don't!" said the fairy. "You don't have to-- I'm right here!" She flitted in front of us, trying to block the door. "Please!" she said, only now she was looking at me. "I'm right here."

Mia looked at me.

"You know what?" I said. "Maybe there are fairies."

"Really?"

"I don't know everything. She gave you a quarter, right?"

"I guess. . ."

"Hey, d'you tell mom about your tooth?"

"Oh! I forgot!"

She rushed downstairs.

"What's going to happen to me?" the fairy said, her voice small.

"I don't know," I said. "Mia's going to learn the truth someday. You gotta get far away. I think if she doesn't remember you, then you'll be okay."

"Thank you." She flew out the window and vanished.

I sighed and hoped what I said was true.

300