Viral perpetration of the accepted rites, swill to flow out from the bottle and spit to flow back in. The worm remains at the bottom.  Cares to be cast out with the demons and the space created henceforth shall be the seat of discontent. Said he, "I miss my sin. I send remittance to satan with each breath, razor underneath my tongue in case I should run across jesus again." In the joint, he pulls a wishbone with his jailers on thanksgiving. Gets the short end of the stick and stuck out a month in solitary. It's hard not to stick out when yr the only one there, but the floor is earth and vermin are like unto me.  In medieval france every castle had an 'oubliette.' As is the case with most words, this one comes from another--"Oublier." To forget. They put you there and forgot about you. Most likely you slept, if you slept at all, on a pile of mouldering bones. I remember them as a particularly uncomfortable bed; to the vermin bed and occupant are one and the same feast.

"Tell me truly," sez he upon his return to the world, "Am I forgotten?" Runs the silent gauntlet as no one interferes as he walks straight out the prison as he crosses the dead-grass hangdog yard and the football game does not stop--a clod fresh from the kickoff flies over his head--as he passes sleepy guards at rusting gates as he treads for what could have been the first time upon a dusty road as a bus passes and does not slow down. So he continues to walk. Walks until the shoes with which he entered prison (conveniently left outside his cell door as he also left, without a word in either case) begin to fray and at this time he imagines that it would be fitting if snow began to fall. But no one is listening and there is no snow. Not even rain; it was his second choice since he feels he could use a shower. Walks until the shoes have fallen off and as they do he reaches a bar. "Garbage in, garbage out" he thinks, also thinking that garbage would be better than nothing as a thing to get out of life.  Thinks of his position at the bottom of a hole, of a bottle, of an infernal pecking order.  Thinks of a world of hungry birds and unprotected nightcrawlers after a heavy rain.  But there was no rain.  He continues to burrow towards solace and safety.  Silence and anonymity may be blessings here.

A felon walks into a bar. Silence resounds and he asks, the first he's spoken freely in six (don't ask why six, it just seemed like the right number) in six in six in six in six in six years he asks, "What? Did somebody tell a bad joke?"  Confronted with stares.  No voices.  Worms' only pockets are of earth and do not contain the likes of keys and cash.  Worms get no free drinks, even when they have just crawled out of prison.