When I was in junior high, we used to play two different games called "war ball". One was essentially the same as the one ifeeldizzy described above (and I see no reason to incorporate it into this writeup unless one of the editors or gods is planning on killing it). The other was played like this:

Setup

As in the other version, this game is played on a squarish or rectangular field. We used physical boundaries, but you could use tape or chalk too. The game is played with three to six half-inflated kickballs (or any other ball of similar size; e.g. a soccer ball). The balls should be inflated enough to roll, but flat enough that you can grip part of it in your fist.

Four people are selected out of the group to be "terminators". Two go to the corners of one side of the court, the other two go to the side opposite them. All the balls are put on the sides with the terminators Everyone else is in the middle.

Playing the Game

Play is fairly simple. The terminators throw the balls at their 'targets', and the latter do their best to avoid them. There are pretty much no rules as to how to do this, as long as it doesn't involve injuring one of the other targets. Once a ball hits the ground, it is neutral and doesn't affect the game until thrown again. There are several ways a target gets out of the middle:

  • He/she gets hit by a ball thrown by a terminator. They are then permanently out of the game until the round is over.
  • He/she hits a terminator with a ball. That terminator is then out of the game, and he/she takes their place.
  • He/she catches a ball thrown by a terminator. They exchange places.
  • He/she throws a ball at a terminator, but the terminator catches it. The target is then out of the game.
Winner: The winner is the last target in the middle. Alternately, there is no winner; and the game is played until the last target is eliminated.