On creating quests

Back when I was an even greater n00b to e2, I somehow managed to win SuperMegaNodeFestQuest 2013. Shazam! Ever since, I've fantasized about running a Quest of my own to further my path to e2 enlightenment and transcending godhood.

As time passed, this particular dream tempered itself and now my soul—once longing for noding nirvana—now wishes only that the C-noders washroom has decent toilet paper. But the idea of running a Quest never left my drafts. As part of the pandemic-inspired cleansing of yours truly, I decided to revise and retire my drafts as needed.

But—and there's always a but—it's hard to kill your darlings; it's a lesson no one ever learns for good. For a score and a half I mulled over these seeds of a Quest, wondering if the digital fire was the best they could do.

Given the current volume of submissions to the nodegel, it seems foolish to restrict the type of submissions in an uninteresting way and I don't consider any of my ideas to be interesting in and of themselves to hold interest for a long time.

Therefore, the only solution is to amplify everything.

I have decided to run a Quest, more or less on the following terms:

  1. A very long submission window. Comrade Stasik once mentioned that he thought ReQuest was meant to last a whole year and I find that a perfect amount of time for a long quest.
  2. Instead of a single great idea, a lot of mediocre ones.
  3. And finally, the categories will be secret and the tally anonymized. Who doesn't love a good mystery?

More details to follow.


Relevant xkcd ⇐ Part of Brevity Quest 2020 (285 words) ⇒ Six


  1. At least, if your goal is to actually get submissions.