So last night after work I decided to go grocery shopping. The first thing unusual that hit me as soon as I walked in, right in the front of the store: it was the biggest display of Cap'n Crunch I'd ever seen in my entire life. It was a temple of stacked boxes of original, Peanut Butter, Crunch Berries, and all the other crazy kinds they have now. It went almost up to the ceiling. They were 4 for $10, I think. It was a Cap'n Crunch Mecca, an Incan temple made of Cap'n Crunch boxes, a place of worship for all those praying to the great Captain of Crunch. It was bizarre.

But, seeing as how I am now diabetic, I passed it right up. Not that I was a huge fan of the cereal anyway. Sure it tasted good, but I never liked the havoc it wreaked on the roof of my mouth.

After getting vegetables and chicken, I did end up at the cereal aisle. I was low on Raisin Bran and didn't want to run out of cereal. I eat a bowl almost every morning, I have since I was a kid. Yes, I'm one of the many people with fond memories of cartoons and a big bowl of cereal every Saturday morning. For quite some time now, even before I found out I was diabetic, I had abandoned the sugar-packed cereals in favor of stuff like Raisin Bran and granola. I don't know if they put more sugar in them nowadays or I grew out of needing that shit so sweet. But when I did, two of my favorites were Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs.

I am pleased to see that almost all the General Mills products are made with whole grain. They claim they all are now but there must be stragglers because the small boxes of Lucky Charms still don't have that nifty "Whole Grain" graphic on them yet. I spied a box of Cocoa Puffs that not only was now whole grain but also "75% less sugar" (made, in part, with sucralose, or Splenda). I decided, what the hell, I tossed it in my cart. It'd been ages since I'd had Cocoa Puffs and now that it was healthier I thought I'd give it a shot. So that was cool. But then I saw something that threw me, something new that I'd never even thought would exist. Something that made me think "WHY DIDN'T THEY THINK OF THIS BEFORE I FOUND OUT I WAS DIABETIC!?"

Chocolate Lucky Charms

Chocolate LUCKY CHARMS?! I had to do a double take. The marshmallows were the same, but the cereal bits were chocolate! It was almost like a marriage of two of my favorite cereals ever, the aforementioned Cocoa Puffs and Lucky Charms.

"A stroke of genius!" I thought as I began to salivate. Alas, I could not purchase it. But maybe I'll try it someday.


One more weird thing. This morning my six-month-old son was talking in his sleep. I heard him on the baby monitor and got up and went into his room. There he was, asleep, on his belly as usual, and he was baby babbling...but in his sleep. Talking in his sleep before he can talk. It struck me as odd. What is he dreaming about?? Who, in his dreams, is he talking-but-not-really-talking to?

Of course babies, like anybody else, talk in their sleep. It makes total sense. Yet it doesn't. Talking in your sleep before you know how to talk...it just hit me as very strange.