I'm going through a time in my life, and I think most of us have had them, where things just aren't going right. We do not have much money and it seems that everything is or until recently was, on the fritz: the dishwasher, lawn mower, garbage disposal, car (twice), and the dryer.

When it rains, it pours.

Saturday I lost my wedding ring. I've been losing weight ever since a week after my son was born - my doc told me I had high cholesterol and was diabetic, hence a drastic diet change. This shrunk my fingers, apparently, and the ring fell off somewhere. I'm still holding out hope that it is at home somewhere. I can get another wedding ring - not now because I have no damn money - but to possibly never have the original again, the one my wife slipped on my finger during our wedding, that's a bit depressing.

But you know what? Despite the run of bad luck lately, I'm still feeling pretty good. No matter what happens, sitting on the couch, the recliner reclined, my little son napping on my chest, his warm body expanding and contracting as he takes in his little breaths, his tiny hands dangling at the sides, his mop of dark hair filling my field of vision as I look down at him, that makes it all worth it.

Thank you, son.