Snatch is the title of an episode of "Space Ghost Coast to Coast," episode 70, to be precise. It is arguably the most surreal episode of the entire series, and for a Williams Street production, that is truly speaking a volume. Snatch originally aired on October 15, 1999, on the Cartoon Network, guest starring comedian Steven Wright.

The episode starts out with Steven Wright ruminating on how his recent discovery that Space Ghost is his real father is really fulfilling to him. Space Ghost, replete with Steven Wright afro wig, is engrossed in an anime magazine and pays his claims little attention. Noticing this, Steven Wright asks if he likes human women.

"I like these twins," replies Space Ghost, showing Steven Wright his magazine.

Meanwhile, in the control room, Moltar is picking up four unidentified blips on his radar screen. He relays this potentially important info to Space Ghost, who response is in the same disinterested manner he used on Steven Wright. Space Ghost, sensing Moltar's despair, reassuringly states that they're probably just "space creatures of some kind," and that everything is fine. Eventually the creatures, who turn out to be replicating pods, land on Ghost Planet and enter the studio via the loading docks.

Wanting to impress whoever might be dropping by, even if they are space creatures, Space Ghost utters the most immortal line in the history of immortal lines, the line that drove several sleep-deprived noders at the recent Atlanta noder gathering to Target, in search of monocles:

"Bring me my monocle. I want to look rich."

Each of the four pods sets itself up in front of each of the four characters on the show, even one for Steven Wright on his guest monitor. The pods are green, large, and look like human-sized pickles, complete with bumps. Space Ghost finally notices the pods, and attempts to blast the pod nearest him. ("Nobody sleeps with my grandmother, right?! THIS IS FOR NANA!") The normally lethal blasts from Space Ghost's wrist bands do not harm the pod; instead, the pod seems to feed off the energy beam.

"The pod! It's feeding off the ray!" Space Ghost bellows, just before screaming like a little girl.

"SO STOP SHOOTING IT!" suggests Moltar.

"Do what now?!" Space Ghost squeals, still shooting. Finally he stops. "Oh!... Dang it!"

Space Ghost finally stops shooting the pod, which by now has grown to approximately a dozen times taller and wider than it was when it first appeared. He tries to trade pods with Zorak, who will have none of it. In retaliation, Space Ghost blasts Zorak's pod, making it as big as the one beside himself. Space Ghost is then egged on to touch one of the pods, and indeed seems to be in a trance as he approaches it with a pointed finger. At the last second, he chickens out and flies away. He ends up at the back door, where he encounters a gigantic blob oozing over the door as it blankets the Ghost Planet building. Moltar shows the blob covering the entire planet on his control monitor. Space Ghost notices the blob, and screams like a little girl again, all the way back to the studio stage.

By now, the episode is timestamping itself, at first in minutes on a single day, then in weeks and eventually years, as the time passes while Space Ghost, Moltar, Zorak and Steven Wright attempt to stay awake, as the pods can't steal your DNA and take over unless you fall asleep first. (Moltar pointed this out at the beginning of the episode.) Steven Wright says he might need another coffee, which spurs our beloved host and his companions to go on a coffee break.

"You stay here. Try to live. If anything bad happens... to you... well... we'll be getting coffee!"

Cut to the break room. Space Ghost and companions are drinking coffee in silence. The silence is suddenly broken by the sound of Steven Wright, off-stage, repeatedly screaming as the pod replicates him. Moltar tries, in vain, to eke out a conversation during pauses in the screams, but eventually gives up. When the screams have stopped, Space Ghost has an idea.

A mop bucket and mop, dressed as Space Ghost, rolls across the studio floor. Space Ghost stands side-stage, and tries to get the pod to follow it. The pod inches toward it, seems to shake its head, then returns to Space Ghost's side.

"They're not buyin' it," groans Moltar.

"They're not buying it, BECAUSE YOU MESSED IT UP!"

Space Ghost returns to the back door, and talks to the blob. He insists that the pods have been talking smack about the blob's mother ("You, ah, you heard what the pods have been saying about your mother? People were laughing, man..."), and that if the blob wanted to, it could come inside and kill the pods. The blob whispers something unintelligible, which Space Ghost momentarily considers, and then apologizes for. On his way out, he gives it one last try:

"What's that, pods?! The blob is very fat!?"

It doesn't work, of course, so Space Ghost issues a call for help:

"Mayday! Mayday! I'm Space Ghost and I am in some big danger! My plans were foolproof, but it started feeding on the rays! And then Moltar had a plan that never would have worked. I need a ship to rescue me. I'll be waiting for you out by the front gate. Thank you!"

"Nobody can hear ya, Space Ghost. We've been off the air for 10 days," Moltar says casually.

"Excuse me," says Space Ghost, and then invisos to the control room to face Moltar. "Please don't tell me how to do it. It... sickens me."

More timestamps and cut-scenes, including a brief cut of Space Ghost wearing a monocle. During all this we go through Space Ghost's plan to order a mind-eraser kit, which he apparently already owns, Moltar's plan to rust at the seaside, and Zorak's plan to modify the gravitational properties of the planet. None of the plans are successful, or even attempted, and the pods remain. Eventually we end up in the month of March, in the year "99:099 A6." Space Ghost and the crew are drinking coffee.

"Say, this is some good coffee! I thought we were out of coffee," says Space Ghost.

"I found some more. It was in the orange container," Zorak says.

"YOU FOOL!" yells Space Ghost as he performs a spit take and just before he falls asleep. "THAT'S DECAF!"

Cut to Moltar and Zorak falling asleep, and the pods opening.

Cue credits.


The episode then ends abruptly, thus concluding what was probably the most genuinely surreal thing the Cartoon Network has ever broadcast, even by Space Ghost standards, nay, even by the rest of Adult Swim standards. If you never watch any episode of SGC2C other than this one, consider yourself fulfilled. It is the absolute litmus of what SGC2C is about and what it's been trying to do all these years.

This episode is also unique because the original ending, which was never aired, was auctioned on eBay by the Cartoon Network. I haven't seen it, so I can't say how it ends, but the aired ending seems fitting enough.