There is also a Jewish fable that carries the same message.


There was a great flood in a region, and everybody's houses and property were being washed away. Most people were walking away, then swimming and rowing away.

Except for Moishe. He sat calmly in his living room. As someone swam past, they shouted for Moishe to join them. Moishe said "No, I have no need to run, G-D will save me".

The water crept up, and Moishe had to go upstairs. As he was sitting in his bedroom, someone rowed past the window and shouted to Moishe "Come, I have space in my boat". Moishe said "No, I have no need to leave, G-D will save me".

The water kept on rising. Moishe climbed out onto his roof. As he was on the verge of drowning, a rescue helicopter came past and shouted down to him to climb up the ladder. Moishe shouted back "No, I have no need to leave, G-D will save me".

The flood rose and rose and Moishe drowned. He had been a good Jew, so he went to Heaven.

When he got there, he had his welcome meeting with G-D, so he asked G-D "Look here, I had so much faith in you, what happened". G-D's reply was "Moishe, what more do you want me to do! I sent people along to encourage you, I sent along a boat and even a helicopter!!!".


OK, so it's a silly story. But it illustrates two points.

Firstly, G-D helps those who help themselves - or, as the node title says, "Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel". G-D (or Allah, they're the same thing in my opinion) will help you, but don't expect to do nothing.

Secondly, it's a response to those people (eg those who follow Christian Science) who don't believe in medical intervention, and that if G-D wants to heal you, he would. This can be used to rebut this. G-D wants to save you. But his method of operation is giving certain people the knowledge, intelligence and manual dexterity to be able to train as doctors. So we should use them.