As a former telemarketer myself I would like to add the following:
  • If they're being monitored by their supervisor (as oppose to their call quality branch) s/he may intervene and ask them to log the call as not interested/applicable.
  • Further more they can always get the attention of their supervisor and have them authorized the disconnection and get the call logged as previous.
  • If the telemarketing outfit has a really bad rig (these are normally the telemarketing's poor brother teleresearching) after a long period of time of silence if a click is heard, the call can be deemed disconnected. This doesn't apply to guys who have a digital rig. Cause in most cases the digital rig aka internal phone system aka pbx is smart enough to know if the call is still active or if it's been disconnected. In short if you have a manual dialup system you're fine, if it's got a display don't bother.
I personally would have loved these kinda calls. True, commission based guys (insurance agents) would be killing themselves now if they were on a call like this. But you must realize the majority of telemarketers who are on a commission are people who have chosen to become professionals in this field *shivers*.

Your average student-type (from University of LoCash) who takes a job as a telemarketer would happily wait for you. Because it would mean not having to a potential of 10-30 (depending on your market's sales per hour reqs) calls in that hour (assuming it was for duration of an hour). :)