Part of Red Bull's success in the US has been due to some slick marketing tactics to generate interest in the drink.

1. Red Bull GmbH has kept quiet about the origins of both the name of the drink and what taurine is exactly (although recently they have put up a vague "rumors" page on their website). Rumors spread which led customers, bartenders, journalists, etc. to believe Red Bull was made from bull semen extract and would give a drinker the strength, speed, endurance (and sexual prowess?) of a bull.

2. Red Bull GmbH has made no attempt to prevent consumers from using it more and more frequently as a mixer with other alcoholic beverages. When asked whether they were concerned about being known as a common aid to alcohol consumption, a spokesperson replied with something to the effect of "I don't think Minute Maid tries to prevent anyone from drinking screwdrivers, why should we be any different?" Of course, you don't see 3' inflatable cans of minute maid suspended over every chic bar you walk into these days.

3. You can read on every can of Red Bull the phrase "Red Bull stimulates your body and mind." With little elaboration, Red Bull is said to*:

Once someone saw these claims on the side of a can it would be easy to see how he/she would see this as the perfect party drink. And the most likely place to find Red Bull is in your local bar--a perfect place to spread information and gossip.

*List taken from http://www.redbull.com