Also Known As Gaffers Tape, Gaffing Tape, or Gaffa Tape if you're a playa.

A special variety of duck tape, for use in technical theater. Gaff tape has a matte finish so as not to reflect light and a different kind of adhesive that does not leave that gummy residue when removed. It's also easier to tear than duct tape. Because of the special features, many techies worship it above all other tapes. The downside is it's ungodly expensive. It's usually black, but can be purchased in white, grey, red, blue and yellow as well.

The ostensible purpose of gaff tape is to hold lighting cables together, but generally, gaff tape can and is used to fix, cover, decorate, hem, or shut-up anything. See http://www.will-tatam.freeuk.com/gaffa.htm for the full 191 documented uses.

"And lo, as the year begins, so is the Gaff Tape delivered unto the TECHIES, who do revere and worship the Gaff. And, soon, does the Gaff Tape leave the store, to be used by the TECHIES in pursuit of excellence in their techie activities, and also in various activites with fair TECHIE maidens. And, the head TECHIES do soon become worried at the amount of Gaff used, for while much use of Gaff does surely lead to a higher plane of TECHIE existence, the year must be split in two: 6 months of plenty, following the delivery of Gaff unto the TECHIES, and 6 months of famine, when the Gaff must surely run out."
From the Book of Techxodus