Lansing is located in the southern part of the Michigan and is commonly referred to as the “Capital City”. It is the sixth largest city and accounts for a population of roughly 120,000. The city of Lansing is an uncharted dwelling for students on the lookout for reduced rental prices.

Cheap rental units for college students are only a few miles away, literally. Why pay 4, 5, or 600 hundred dollars a month when you could pay 1/3 of that? That is a great question and I intend to enlighten the folks that have to earn their money to pay for rent – or those who are trying to save a buck while attending college.

Just 2.5 miles away from East Lansing, Michigan cheap rentals can be found for 250 dollars per month! The rental district in Lansing, Michigan is much more affordable for college students. With over 35,700 residential units you are sure to find something in your price range¹. Though there are a few stipulations that go along with the cheap rent.

You will be living with at least five roommates if you are looking to find the cheapest rent. This means all the bills are split by a larger group thus achieving economies of scale. The houses are a bit dated but if you have a landlord willing to work with you the living conditions will be up to par with East Lansing housing. And the houses are not moved in and out of year after year accumulating excessive wear and tear. Not to mention they are not partied in like houses that are located north of Grand River Avenue near Michigan State University.

The total rent for the house I current reside in is 1540 dollars per month. There are six people living in the house making the rent just over 250 dollars each. Each tenant has their own room and shares a bathroom with no more than two people. All the amenities of East Lansing living can be found in Lansing between two and five miles away and are easily accessible by bus. The Capital Area Transport Authority (CATA) gave 11,306,339 rides between Oct. 1, 2007 and Sept. 30, 2008² – so it is nearly impossible not to find a ride in the greater East Lansing and Lansing areas.

If you are looking to have some extra cash around during the semester look no further - Lansing could be your new humble abode.

 

Bottom Line:

 

-         SAVE MONEY

-         Under 300 dollars per month (unheard of in most college towns)

-         Quiet atmosphere (if you so desire)

-         Ease of transportation

 

¹ http://www.lansingmi.gov/live/housing.jsp
² http://www.cata.org/AboutCATA/NewsInfo/tabid/82/newsid948/13/mid/948/CATA-Ridership-Sets-New-Records/Default.aspx