To gamblers and racing fans all over Britain and Ireland, "Cheltenham" means the Cheltenham Festival of National Hunt Racing. It can also refer to the racecourse itself, Prestbury Park, or to any of the numerous horse racing events held there throughout the (winter) season. The Festival is held in March, and often seems to coincide with Saint Patrick's Day. It has been a three day event but in 2005 for the first time it will run for four days. The highlight of the week is the Gold Cup race which delivers a substantial prize.

The Festival is a big deal to Cheltenham. In a town of 100,000-ish people we have an event attracting 50,000 to 60,000 attendees per day. Whether this is a good or a bad thing depends on your point of view, but needless to say the town is a different place altogether for a week in March.

I think Cheltenham is also a big deal to National Hunt. I know racing fans who openly obsess about it at pretty much any time of the year. The course itself and facilities are also pretty good. According to BBC Radio Gloucestershire, a recent national survey apparently rated Prestbury Park finest national hunt course in the UK.

There are lots of betting shops in Cheltenham. Cheltenham is also a Spa town.