As I sit here, reading about the unpleasantness at the International Monetary Fund meeting in Prague, I can't help but wonder if this is how normal people felt watching the bus boycott in Alabama in 1955 or the start of the sit-in movement in the early 1960s.

These people--in Prague this week, in Seattle last November--have very real concerns about how we are going to tend to the world's poor and what we will do to protect our natural environment. But it all feels very distant to me (which is odd, I live in Seattle and could see the problems from my office).

The trees here are beautiful, the water is spectacular, and the opportunities for people to actually see and touch and feel something that isn't manmade are constant. I could lie and say that sometimes I worry about whether there are enough parks in Bangladesh or if the wild Thai snuffle-trout is endangered, but I don't. Not really. I'm too busy.

If I did think about it, I'd probably hope that whoever was in charge was doing the right thing. But I wouldn't get all militant about it.

I suspect that many normal Joes may have felt the same way about the start of the civil rights movement. You know, before it was such a big deal. And I think that what the protesters in Seattle and Prague are worried about might be that important.