My lazy Sunday ritual goes as follows:
Sleep in until 12PM or 3PM or so. Once awake I lay in bed for an additional 25-50min staring at the ceiling with a large grin on my face, it's Lazy Sunday (LS). I then proceed to roll out of bed onto the floor and find the most comfortable clothing possible to dress myself with. Next I scurry (yes, scurry) into the living room and collapse on the couch from exhaustion. If the remote for the stereo is nearby I may turn on some Coltrane, Miles, or Burrell. Once I have regained my energy I have been known to get up and fix myself an omelet or some blueberry pancakes, but that is the most activity I will allow myself to engage in. You see, the key to a successful LS is in the meaning of the word nothing. Think about nothing, move for nothing, do NOTHING. For some it takes much time and dedication to divert the mind from thinking about social and natural evils such as work, the weather, time, the top stories of the news, or any other stress related thought. None of these things matter on this glorious day. It is here for your enjoyment and relaxation, partake in the festivities!

Tips for beginners:

  • Take caution in the company you keep on any given LS. Some friends and family members are known to create dangerous amounts of activity. I only allow one person to be with me on this day, my girlfriend. She fully accepts the ritual and enjoys it as much as I do. We have never had a fight or even so much as a disagreement on an LS.
  • Be wary of music that is not uber-chill. Jazz, certain hip-hop (in regulated amounts), and anything else which is mellow.
  • Don't eat anything that is going to make you run to the bathroom.
  • If you find yourself stressing over something, try this exercise:
    1. Sit in an upright position with your back as straight as possible (you can use something to support it if you need to)
    2. Take 10 or so deep, long, cleansing breaths (if you start to feel like you're gonna pass out, stop)
    3. Repeat the word "Nothing" to yourself quietly for approximately one minute
    4. Open your eyes and and you should be good to go
  • Plan ahead. Make sure your couch pillows are fluffed, everything is in reaching distance from any given sitting/laying spot, and your coffee will either make itself or it will only take the push of a button. If you find that you are feeling bad or guilty about this extreme amount of laziness, just do everything the day before. ie. Make sure all errands are ran on Saturday.

Exceptions:
Pets and personal emergencies (a friend or family member is seriously injured). These are the only two exceptions to the nothingness of this day.

Well, I think that about covers it. I hope you can learn to reap the rewards of this wonderful day as I have. If you would like more information, have a question, or just need pointers you can email me directly at mobb@one.net