As these things go, I think haggis is quite tasty. It falls into a similar category as dirty rice in terms of its consistency and shockingly enough it also is made from grain, guts, and grease with some spices and some onions. I like it quite a bit actually.

I do however have a couple notes to add. Here they are:

  • For those who cannot obtain a sheep's pluck or an ox bung, one would do well to consider standard sausage casing (usually washed, sterilized, and salted pig intestines). Now you'll find that it's fairly small in diameter (about one or two inches depending), so you'll have to adjust cooking time down a little, but as a side benefit you do get several miniature haggises (yikes!), so you can freeze a couple, and bring some to microwave at work for lunch the next day.
  • I would highly suggest using lamb stock instead of beef stock. It may be hard to come by pre-made lamb stock, but it's not hard to make, and it's worth it for the extra flavor.
  • Although it's not traditional, I have found that adding a couple hot peppers never hurts anything. Just a suggestion for those who require a little bit more zing. One should be sure, however, not to add so much spice as to override the delicate flavor of the organ meat (espescially the liver).

Happy Haggis Eating =:-)