Spicy Bruschetta

Bruschetta, pronounced bru-sket-tah (in Italian, ch is pronounced k), is an exceedingly simple dish with potentially infinite variations. Few appetizers go over quite so well with quite so little effort.

INGREDIENTS:
8 roma tomatoes
1 head garlic
3 serrano peppers
Fresh oregano, to taste
Fresh basil, to taste
Olive oil, sufficient to sauté
Chianti
One baguette
Parmigiano reggiano cheese, one medium-sized block

First, slice the tomatoes (relatively thinly). Chop the garlic finely, either mincing it or using a food processor. Thinly slice or use a food processor to chop the serranos. Chop or mince the oregano. (We'll save the basil for later on.)

Heat your oven to 375°F.

Heat the olive oil in your saucier or wok, until it begins to simmer. Once it's simmering, sauté the garlic until it takes on a golden-brown colour.

Then, add serrano peppers and the tomatoes, stirring them and breaking them up as you go.

Add oregano and chianti, to taste.

While the mixture simmers, grate or cut thin strips of the parmigiano reggiano. Slice the baguette into 1-1.5 cm slices, and brush olive oil onto one side of each slice, putting a good coating of the grated cheese or one or two strips of the sliced cheese on top. Place the baguette slices into the oven and broil them for five minutes.

After five minutes, or once the baguette slices have become toasted and the cheese has melted, spoon the mixture onto each of the slices. Rip off pieces of the basil leaves or place whole basil leaves on top of the mixture, and serve. Three slices serves one person.

Enjoy!


Other items in Élise's Culinodes

Quick vegetarian pasta sauce --=-- Arrabbiata --=-- Sugo Napoli al balsamico