As Sylvar said, the City of New Orleans is operated by Amtrak between Chicago and New Orleans - a route covering, in fact, more than 900 miles. Daily departures are entirely Superliners, with coach, sleeper, dining, and lounge cars available. Regional cuisine is offered in the dining car, and for part of the year "Trails and Rails" tour guides from the National Park Service are onboard giving presentations about the area going by outside the train. Movies and games are offered, and Hospitality Hour is available for first class passengers. Within Illinois, the train makes stops in Chicago, Homewood, Kankakee, Champaign-Urbana, Mattoon, Effingham, Centralia, and Carbondale, then enters Kentucky for a stop in Fulton. In Tennessee, the train stops in Newbern-Dyersburg and Memphis, then within Mississippi stops in Greenwood, Yazoo City, Jackson, Hazlehurst, Brookhaven, and McComb. The route completes its run in Louisiana with stops in Hammond and New Orleans. Amtrak offers connecting service via motorcoach from Carbondale to St. Louis, and from New Orleans to Baton Rouge. Depending on departure and arrival cities, the trip can take anywhere from 2.5 hours to 19.5 hours for the full run. Rental cars from Hertz are available in Chicago and New Orleans, which are also destinations for Amtrak Vacations packages.

Source: Amtrak's 2001 Travel Planner
Further information: http://www.patsweb.com/trainframe.htm