• Go to a museum, such as the Exploratorium or the California Academy of Sciences.
  • Spend some time rollerblading in one of many fun places: the marina, the embarcadero, Golden Gate Park, and many others (if you own rollerblades)
  • Go for a walk on the beach, and then head up to the Cliff House where they have a small museum of really old nickelodeons and other small toys that operate without electricity and still accept pennies and nickels to play.
  • Pick any district in town, grab a cup of coffee/tea (to go) and just walk around, talking about whatever it is that you see and/or think of
  • Take "The 49-mile drive" (there are signs posted in the city-- you are supposed to follow them, and they end up taking you to 49 miles of tourist attractions, such as Chinatown, Twin Peaks, Golden Gate Park, etc.)
  • A visit to Pier 39 or Fisherman's Wharf or Ghiradelli Square.
  • A day trip to Angel Island or Alcatraz (If you'd like to go to Alcatraz, it may already be booked up, but Angel Island is always free)
  • If it is a nice day, take a paddleboat out for a spin at Stow Lake.
  • If it is a cold/rainy day, celebrate the cold weather by going ice skating in the new, olympic-sized rink across from SoMa.
  • I am not even going to mention the food part here, unless you want to have fun and drive to Millbrae to eat from sushi boats. (The reason I am not even going to post any food ideas is because there will just happen to be the perfect little restaurant wherever we may find ourselves starving on the pavement).
  • Oh, wait! The above statement reminded me that we need to pay homage to "Hamburger Mary's," the absolutely most twistedly decorated bar/restaurant there is. Well, unless you feel like Mexican food. In that case, there is always El Torreador on West Portal Avenue. And how could I forget to suggest my favorite eatery: The Crepevine, serving up dinner crepes, dessert crepes, eggs, open-faced bagels, salads, sandwiches, and a lot of other goodies. (So I guess you won't go hungry on Saturday)
  • If you've made it this far through the damn long node, you're a champ! But what I didn't realize is that you never told me whether we were going to meet Saturday DAY (as in an all-day sort of adventure) and/or only Saturday NIGHT. If the answer involves any part of Saturday night, may I suggest the following:
  • A trip to a movie theater
  • An evening of laughter at a comedy club
  • A visit to the streets of North Beach. City Lights bookstore, the place that sells shrines and those odd CDs I was playing, Calzone's, etc.
  • Possibly a visit to the SoMa area as well (although I'm not as familiar)
  • A required "last stop" by a little-known "secret spot" of mine where, on a clear night, you can get an unheard of view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the Marin Headlands.

    Obviously, way too many things to do in one day or one night. Hopefully something or other struck your fancy here. You can call me or email me, otherwise I will just keep all of Saturday day and night free for your romping plans in the city.