Given the total drek that was being foisted upon American TV audiences in the late 70's to mid 80's The Jeffersons was actually a reasonably good show.

It started out as a spin off from All in the Family which would occasionally feature visits from George and Louise Jefferson (Played by Isabel Sanford and Sherman Hemsley) who lived just next door/down the street from Archie Bunker's house.

Like All in the family the series, while being a comedy was actually very thoughtfully written and raised some interesting and controversial issues regarding race, ethnicity, and society while being funny enough to keep people watching.

The gist of the series is that George becomes owner of the dry cleaning business he's been working at for years, and is incredibly successful. He and Louise and their son Lionel move to a "Deluxe apartment in the sky" where they try and adjust to life in the big leagues.

Some of the more memorable supporting cast includes Florence, their wise cracking maid, Tom and Helen Willis, their racially mixed neighbors whose daughter Jenny George often referred to as "The zebra", and their somewhat dotty but pleasant british upstairs neighbor Mr. Bentley.

Here's the show's theme song:

"Movin' On Up"
Recorded in 1975 By Ja'net DuBois (composer) and Jeff Barry
1: indicates primary voice. Sung by Ja'net DuBois in original recording 
2: indicates harmony voice. Sung by Jeff Barry in original recording 
C: indicates chorus, sounds like a gospel choir 

Clapping is present on the afterbeat of almost each measure. 

1: Well we're Movin' on Up! 
C: Movin' on Up! 
1: To the east side!
C: Movin' on Up!
1: To a dee-luxe apartment in the sky, We're movin' on up!
C: Movin' on Up!
1: To the east side!
C: Movin' on Up! 
1&C: We've finally got a piece of the pie!

1: Fish don't fry in the kitchen, 
Beans don't burn on the grill. 
Took a whole lotta tryin' 
Just to get up that hill.
1&2: Now we're up in the big leagues, 
Gettin' our turn at bat! 
As long as we live, 
It's you and me, baby! 
There ain't nothin' wrong with that! 
1: Hooray, We're Movin' on Up! 
C: Movin' on Up! 
1: To the east side!
C: Movin' on Up!
1: To a dee-luxe apartment in the sky! We're Movin' on Up! 
C: Movin' on Up! 
1: To the east side! 
C: Movin' on Up! 
1&C: We've finally got a piece of the pie!