I've noticed that nobody bothered to node what acne is, just how to get rid of it.

What is Acne?

Acne, as defined by www.beaumonthospitals.com, is "a chronic disorder of the hair follicles and sebaceous glands. Acne is characterized by black heads, pimple outbreaks, cysts, infected abscesses, and (sometimes) scarring." In laymans' terms, this means that acne is an infection of the skin just below the outermost layer.

But Why the Godawful, Reddened Pustules?

Acne occurs when the bacterium PropioniBacterium acnes gets loose under your skin. It multiplies rapidly and its waste products irritate and damage the nearby tissues. This combination leads to the swelling and redness that you see in the mirror.

And the Pus?

The pus is your bodies response to the bacterial infection. When your body realizes that something is essentially eating you from the inside, it sends forth an army of white blood cells to stave off the attack. Sometimes the leukocytes win, sometimes the bacteria win. The pus is actually the mixed remains of those fallen warriors.

Nasty. How do I do something about them?

Well, the advice up above is good advice. You should wash regularly, preferably with an antibacterial soap. Do note, however, that too-frequent washing will cause your skin to develop small fissures that make it easier for the bacteria to get deep into your pores. Strike a balance, people.

Beyond that, I have found one simple supplement that made my acne dissapear in about two weeks. After trying every salve, cream, and ointment on the market as well as trying Tetracycline, I found that a few bucks each month at the local GNC solved all my problems.

What is this Miraculous Substance?

After finding that I reacted badly to Accutane, I went to a nutritionist to find help. It turns out that I had been getting less zinc in a month than I should have been getting in a day. That's right. Simple zinc.

Zinc is a trace mineral that is vital for immune function and skin health. A weakened immune system and malnourished skin, together, form the perfect breeding ground for acne. It turns out that many people consume almost no zinc on a daily basis. I started supplementing with 15-50 milligrams of zinc a day. For the first two weeks I looked like I had a bad case of leprosy as my newly strengthened skin and immune system forcefully ejected all of the pimples that had been lurking, half formed, under my skin. After that my skin was clearer than it had been in my whole life.

Never take more than 100 milligrams of zinc a day. Consult your doctor before you take zinc. I cannot be held liable if taking zinc kills you.