"Please give a full description of what happened" is what the final part of the form read. It's the form that came up when I clicked on a bad link at the Dilbert page. I think the follwing response fulfills both the request for a full description, and a day log entry.



I was having a pretty bad morning. I had a great night last night at a dinner party for some IBM testers who are in town on a project. It was German night, but we topped it off with genuine green tea. There was also plenty of wine, some drink made with cocoa, milk and rum, and beer. I didn't get home until midnight, and then was too wired from the green tea to get to sleep. So I stayed up handling a few e-mails and playing at everything2.com. I finally got to sleep around 2:00 AM.

I virtual office, so I thought that I'd be able to sleep in until around 10:00 AM. Usually, my co-workers do not disturb me too early in the morning. BUT, my future pointy-haired boss called at 8:04. I had the phone forwarded to my Skytel, but the ring woke me up. I have to talk to him anyways because I've decided to take the asshole's offer, even if he won't give me four weeks vacation. I'll just work there untiil I can get a new job somewhere else. I guess that isn't really accepting the offer - it's rolling over by default. You see, the company I work for is terminating all of its Document Management Specialists and sending us to one of their subsidiaries. This particular subsidiary is particularly insidious. They are a very immature and cheap company. The entire management hierarchy is made up of white males, primarily below the age of 28. There is one token female in the upper ranks, and - wow - they brought in one of our black people to a high position. So maybe they're loosening up.

Anyway, I tried to find a new job but could not. Three months just isn't enough time. I'm good at what I do, but priced at the high end of the market, above what most companies can afford. And no, I'm not backing down on my price. So, I've decided to take this job for now. I need to talk to the pointy-haired one in order to accept the offer. So he calls at 8:04 this morning and leaves a message on my Skytel.

He's in Des Moines this week trying to deal with one of our sadder contracts. We're bleeding money out there, and hey - the VP should really be doing something useful - he went there to straighten it out. The problem is that his cell phone does not work when he is at the client site. I don't think he realizes this. He paged me and sent the cell phone number. I tried calling the cell phone for the nth time and was told he wasn't available or out of range. Now, this would be fine except for the fact that the genious PHB does not have voice-mail on his cell phone. (It's a little annoying that his home office phone has to ring about 12 times before going to voice mail too.)

To make a long story short, I got up to see who had called, found it was the PHB, tried calling him back, and couldn't reach him. Then I decided to play online, since I was awake. I went to the Dilbert zone, read today's strip, and then tried to go to the List of the Day. When I clicked on the List of the Day link, I landed here.



So, I wonder if some poor tech guy will take the time to read all the way through the saga? Or does a support person ever see the information we put on the forms? I can easily envision a corporation posting forms like this to let customers think that they are concerned about the quality of the web page, then completely ignoring the results because it would actually cost money to track the problems.