Marco Polo is also a great game that can be played in a swimming pool! This game is also sometimes known as Blind Man's Bluff

Here's how to play:

  1. Gather the players. This game can be played with anywhere from 2 to 100 players. However, the best games have less than 15 players.
  2. Set the boundaries. This area should include some landmarks, such as ladders, be large enough to give everyone room to maneuver, and small enough that the "IT" does not have to swim far to get from one side to another. The games is best played in the deep end so that you can swim under or over each other, but If there are less-talented swimmers playing, do this in the shallow end. Also, if you play where adults are trying to swim laps, you'll annoy them and they'll make you move. In our pool the game zone is the square fromed by the diving board - drain - ladder-corner.
  3. Define the useful landmarks. It is necessary to be in contact with the water at all times. However, some landmarks can be defined as "virtual water". We use the ladder, a drain cover and the board as "virtual water".
  4. Determine who is IT. We do this by racing to the drain. The contest for IT should be fair for all participants. Another method to choose the IT is to all yell "NOT IT" at the same time. The last person to say NOT IT is IT!
  5. Start play! IT puts his or her head under water, closes his/her eyes and counts to 10 on his fingers which he/she is holding over his/her head. IT will not open his/her eyes until he or she has tagged another player. During this count the other players position themselves strategically. The starting point can be anywhere; we use the corner of the pool.
  6. During play, IT's goal is to tag another player. Once a player is touched, he or she becomes IT and starts from step 5.
  7. IT may call "MARCO" at any time, and all other players (at least those who are above water at the time) must respond with "POLO".
  8. IT may call "OUT" at any time. If a player is not touching the water or a "virutal water", they are considered tagged and become IT. (So if you were running from the ladder to the board, you're caught!)
  9. IT may call "IN 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8!," at any time. All players must be IN the water by the time that IT reaches 10. Virutual water does not count. (So if you were running from the ladder to the board, you have to change course and get in the water!)
  10. If IT is caught opening his or her eyes, he/she must go back to the starting poin and count to 10 over again. If IT has his/her eyes when he/she tags a player, the tag does not count.
  11. The game is over when everyone gets tired of playing, decides to play a different game such as PomPom, or a rest period is called.

SAFETY

I realize safety rules may be boring, but I've seen people nearly drown in these games. I have friends who are missing teeth, and a sister who has a permanent tooth-shaped scar on her head. This game can be dangerous.

NEVER PUSH ANYONE! While it's easy to jump in a pool without hitting anyone, it's impossible to avoid hitting the person below you if you are pushed in unexpectedly. This is where most of the injuries occur.

NO RUNNING! OK - you'll get a stubbed toe. It'll hurt.

NO HOLDING ANYONE UNDER WATER. Naturally - this is always true, even when you're not playing a game.

WHEN RACING TO THE DRAIN, DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGERS IN THE OPENINGS IN THE GRATE. (Trust me on this.)