A while back I borrowed an anime tape from a friend of mine, I forget which series, but at the beginning it had a little section for newbies that did a decent job of explaining why certain things are the way they are in anime. I gave the tape back, so I can't quote it verbatim, but here's what it basically was:

The hair: You'll notice that many anime characters have very interesting hairstyles, comprising bright colors, braids, pigtails, bows, etc. Some of these styles blatantly defy the laws of physics. The reason behind all this is to make characters readily identifiable. Five girls in school uniforms tend to blend together unless one has pink hair, one has blue hair, etc.

The eyes: Many people wonder why it is that anime characters have such huge eyes. This is because early Japanese animation was influenced by American cartoons such as Betty Boop, Mickey Mouse, etc, all of whom had large eyes. Also, Japanese culture tends to regard smaller eyes as less friendly.

The voices: Like with the eyes, Japanese culture tends to regard higher-pitched voices as more inviting and friendly. Thus, the seiyuu tend to lean in that direction.

The Uniforms: Since World War II, uniforms have been mandatory in all primary and secondary schools. It was only recently that the practice was eliminated for four-year colleges, and there are still some two-year schools that require uniforms.

The lack of pubic hair: For a long time it was illegal in Japan for any photograph or illustration to depict pubic hair. Thus, there is an informal consensus in the anime industry to refrain from showing pubic hair so as to avoid criticism.

That's all I can remember of it, if I find that same tape again I'll redo it verbatim. If anyone else has an explanation, by all means post it below.

And I'm pretty sure I'd remember if it was Urotsukidoji. :-)


UPDATE: 3/30/01
While the scathing denounciation of this writeup by Fantastic was clever, and positively offensive its tone, it remains utter nonsense. A comparison between greek mythology and anime yields nothing save an opportunity for the author to display his dazzling intellect. ::snort::
Come on, man, get off your horse. Its perfectly reasonable to say that there might be pat, logical explanations for CERTAIN aspects of anime. If you want to talk about plot devices and storylines and the nature of the characters, I will gleefully concede that a simple, straighforward answer is unlikely, and that the origins likely lie buried deep within the japanese culture and traditions. But for chrissakes, man, we're just talking about hair.