The abbreviated version of "That was a joke, son."

I'm beginning to feel the need for a hard link to this in some nodes. It would be a way to alert others (in the absence of vocal inflections) that a joke is in progress.

rant
i wonder how nessecary TWAJS is, and how much it's an easy way out. the instances i've seen this used, many of them look like the noder just doesn't want to take responsibility for nonfunny or downright pathetic entries. it's like the nodeshell rescue team tag--can be useful/cool/funny whatever, but is overused as an "excuse" for inferior work. if a node is a "joke" it should be a joke worth telling. (yes i know i'm guilty of awful, probably better-untold jokes that are stupid. but its the justifying them that bugs me). if something's a piece of satire it should be crafted well enough it sounds serious but reveals itself to be ludicrous. if you make slurs or jokes against a group or idea or whatever that in most contexts could be some blatant form of discrimination, adding TWAJS does *not* make it suddenly and magically all better. nor is a stupid or juvinile or disgusting or whatever joke made *funnier* by this tag. humor, good humor, should be able to stand alone, with no explination or justification.
/rant

It is a beautiful thing when you run across a useful acronym you've never seen before. Sometimes it will clear up past confusion that you hadn't realized was confusing: "Ah, that's what she meant". Other times, it will give you a leg up in looking like you know what you are doing: "Just put the MGE on the RPF, light it off, wait a few, and take out the finished WEN".

Then there are those useful acronyms which destroy something good. As an example, reading an essay and seeing TWAJS on its own line at the end. Check the glossary, see what it means, and throw the book down in frustration.

Of course it was a joke. Do I look as ignorant as that?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.