Afterlife is a strategy game released in 1996 by LucasArts, created by Michael Stemmle of the Sam & Max Hit the Road -- based on Steve Purcell's comic book, Sam & Max: Frelelance Police -- fame.

With a humorous outtake on the SimCity series and games like Outpost, in this game you're meant to manage Heaven and Hell, guiding the souls to their rightful place...

Instead of a mayor, you are a Regional Spiritual Director. With help from Jasper Wormsworth (let's say he's the Evil Affairs Secretary) and Aria Goodhalo (the Goody Goody Affairs Assistant), you have to manage your terrain with the Seven Deadly Sins and their opposing Virtues, so souls may find rest -- or suffering! -- in their respective places (even though it is our concept of the Sins, the game manual clearly states that the souls aren't from Earth! They are EMBOs -- Ethically Mature Biological Organisms -- and when they die, their SOULs -- Stuff Of Unending Life -- go to your playground) and stay there until they're fit for reincarnation. If you do your job well, you're awarded with Pennies from Heaven!

But as lots of strategy games have it, there are disasters too... such as Hell Freezes Over (the name says it all), Heaven Gets the Blues (the buildings freeze while a very sad blues song plays), Heaven Nose (which inhales Hell's evil constructions and sneezes them on to Heaven), Disco Inferno (where a polyester-clad demon boogies down your street, dancing to a disco song), Birds of Paradise (they, erm, pollute your buildings), Bats Out of Hell (same thing, but in Hell), Hell In a Handbasket* ..

If you mess it all up, you'll get a not so nice visit from the Four Surfers of the Apocalpyse, and your doom is certain.