Labelled a Resident Evil-killer, released on my birthday, this game didn't attempt to scare you by making you fend off loads of monsters with high-caliber firearms. Instead...

Your name is Harry Mason. You were travelling with your daughter, Cheryl, on vacation to the resort town of Silent Hill. It's late, Cheryl is sleeping in the jeep. You see a motorcycle crashed at the roadside. When you look back to the road, you see a figure standing before you. You swerve...

It's snowing and foggy. Wrong time of year. Nobody's in the town except Cybil Bennet, a police officer from Brahms, the next town over. You don't know where Cheryl is...

Cybil leaves to go back for backup (the radio's dead). Shortly after she leaves, you start looking for Cheryl. All you find are clues, and very messed-up monsters. It gets dark real quick, and you hear things moving just outside of your sight...

Did I mention that you're not a cop or a soldier and that your selection of weapons is limited to what reality has to offer?

The monsters don't die when they drop. Instead, they'll resurrect unless you finish them off. A preferred glitch in the game lets you do this repeatedly, as long as you don't let go of the button. Steel pipe + downed child zombie = a very grim revenge.

Also includes radically different endings, secret weapons (hyperblaster and katana), the ability to scare you not by terror (when something leaps out of the shadows at you) but by dread (knowing that something's out there, lurking, and not knowing what it is), and intelligent puzzles.