This recipe is similar to Evil Catullus's writeup. I have found that this recipe will give a consistently creamy, rich and flavorful quiche with minimal effort. You can use either gruyère or Laughing Cow Cheese. I know, I know. You are asking yourself, "who would actually use that in a recipe?" Well, the answer is of course, me. Trust me, it works in this recipe. Or, if you don't trust me, ask anyone who went to this gathering, they'll vouch for the creamy superiority of Laughing Cow Cheese. You can make your own pie crust, or you can be lazy like me and just buy the pre-made ones that are in the refrigerator case at most grocery stores.

Ingredients

8 slices bacon, slice into 1/4 inch strips
1 medium onion
2 tbs butter
1 cup gruyère cheese, grated or 1 package laughing cow cheese, cubed
4 eggs slightly beaten
16 oz. whipping cream
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 deep dish or 2 regular pie crusts/shells

Instructions

  1. Fry bacon until uniformly crisp, drain. Slice onion and sauté in butter until transparent, do not brown. Alternately, you can sauté the onion in the bacon drippings.
  2. Prick the pie crust and bake at 450°F for 5 minutes.
  3. Line bottom of pie shell with bacon and onions. Press cubed cheese into the bottom.
  4. In a bowl combine remaining ingredients, and then pour into pie shell.
  5. Bake at 450° F for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake for 20-30 minutes more until top is browned. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.