In collaboration with sam512, BaronWR, StrawberryFrog and Andrew Aguecheek

Huser's write-up above is completely wrong, for the reason that sam512 explains: the genes are discrete, and cannot be mixed. However, the analysis in the original write-up is not entirely correct either, since it uses an insufficiently accurate model for genetic inheritance.

Genetic model

The human DNA blueprint consists of a large number of genes. Each gene can occur in one or more versions called alleles. One can think of each gene as encoding some characteristic, e.g. eye colour, and of the alleles as the possible values of this characteristic, e.g. "blue eyes" or "brown eyes". (Actually, eye colour is not determined by a single gene, but that's beside the point.)

Each gene is located on a chromosome. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes, and both chromosomes in a pair contain alleles for the same genes. Any individual therefore has two alleles of each gene (except for genes on the sex chromosomes, as explained below). When a male and a female reproduce, their offspring inherits exactly one allele from each parent for each gene. The inherited allele is selected randomly from each parent's pair. The details of the process are irrelevant to the model.

The above holds for 22 of the 23 pairs, the so-called autosomes. The last pair are the sex chromosomes. Females have a pair of X chromosomes, while males have one X and one Y chromosome. Essentially (outside a small pseudoautosomal region) the X and Y chromosome are completely different, so there are X-linked and Y-linked genes. Offspring will essentially inherit either the X or Y chromosome of the father in its entirety, while the alleles in the X chromosome inherited from the mother are selected randomly from the mothers pair. A male will therefore have only a single allele of the X-linked genes, and this allele is always inherited from the mother. On the other hand, the Y-linked genes of a male are inherited directly from the great...grandfathers, modulo mutations. Most of the Y-linked genes are insignificant junk. Females have pairs of alleles also for the X-linked genes; one of them is the father's unique allele, while the other is selected randomly from the mother's pair.

Fry's inheritance

Now let us consider a some specific gene in Fry's genetic make-up. X-linked genes are uninteresting as they inherited from his mother. Y-linked genes are inherited from his grandfather, i.e. himself, giving rise to a causal loop. Most of these genes are insignificant though. The most fun case is therefore the autosomal genes.

Call Philip J. Fry's pair of alleles for the gene PF and PM, where PF is the allele inherited from Yancy and PM the one from Fry's mother. Similarly, let YF be Yancy's allele inherited from Fry, and YM the one he inherits from Mildred. There are two equally likely probably possibilities:

  1. PF := YM (the notation ":=" indicates a causal relationship: PF depends causally on YM). Fry inherits an allele from his paternal grandmother, just like any human would.
  2. PF := YF. Fry inherits a gene from his paternal grandfather, i.e. himself. There are two possibilities, each with probability 25%:
    1. YF := PM. Then PF = PM, i.e. Fry has inherited the same allele from his mother in two different ways. As will be explained below, this represents a degree of inbreeding.
    2. YF := PF. Then PF := PF, so there is a causal loop.

Inbreeding

As is commonly known, it is a bad thing for closely related individuals to produce offspring. The reason is that many genetic illnesses are caused by recessive alleles. This means that individuals with one "bad" allele B and one "good" allele G will be healthy, but B-homozygotes, i.e. individuals with two B alleles, are affected by the disease. Inbred offspring are more likely to be homozygotes for rare alleles, and thus more likely to be diseased.

To see why, consider for example the case of two siblings reproducing. Then each allele of the offspring is seleceted uniformly among the 4 alleles (total) of its two grandparents. 75% of the time the two alleles are inherited from different places, and may or may not be equal. But there is a 25% chance that the two alleles are inherited from the same place, and are therefore tautologically equal.

Hence, if a a certain allele B occurs in the general population with frequency 1 in 1,000, then a generic individual has a 1 in 1,000,000 probability of being a B-homozygote, while the offspring of a pair of siblings has a 1 in 4,000 probability of being a B-homozygote.

Conclusion

Fry's X chromosome is normal, while (essentially) all of his Y chromosome comes from a causal loop. The Y-linked part of Fry's DNA could be absolutely anything, but since there are few significant genes in the Y-linked part it is unclear how important this is.

Of the remaining genes, 50% are normal. 25% have a tautologically equal pair of alleles, so Fry is as inbred as the offspring of a pair of siblings. The remaining 25% of the genes include one allele that exists in a causal loop.