"I actually love getting older. I hated my 20s; I couldn't wait to be 30. I'm really looking forward to turning 40, if I get there. And not just because things are more successful now, but because I think the older you get, the more you find life interesting apart from your own problems. So roll on. I can't wait."

Katrin Cartlidge, an actress best known for her work with Mike Leigh and Lars Von Trier, was born in London, England on May 15, 1961. She was raised in Belsize Park and educated at Parliament Hill School for Girls in Hampstead. She died suddenly, of septicemia resulting from pneumonia, on September 7, 2002 in London. She was 41 years old. She is survived by her parents, Bobbi and Derek; her brother, Tony; her sister, Michele; and her partner, Peter Gevisser.

Her stage work was largely overshadowed by her work in films, but in both arenas she will be remembered for her intensity, her gravitation towards extreme roles ("the task of playing a normal, well-balanced person would be boring") and her firm commitment to those roles. She had a reputation for for intelligence and independence, and was not afraid to voice her opinion. She was respected by other actors, and by directors, for her enthusiam for the process as well as the product of movie-making, and she was often asked to be on the jury of film festivals.

She will be missed.

Filmography


Sources:
us.imdb.com
www.oxfordstudent.com
www.salon.com
www.startribune.com
www.guardian.co.uk