There are many types of flutes commonly used in western music today. All of them are based on the Jacob Boehm key system. They are listed in descending order of range. All of them follow the basic Boehm design. The head joints are roughly parabolic cones. all of the flutes, except the rare piccolo are made of silver, or a similar metal. The key pads were felt at one point, but they are now usually a plastic cloth compound that seals better.

  • Piccolo- There are two types, a D flat and C piccolo. The C is commonly used, although D flat is easier to tune and play. The D flat was a common marching band flute through the 1970's, until it got dropped for the common C piccolo. The C piccolo is most common in indoor performance groups.
  • E flat Soprano Flute-This flute is pitched a minor third above the C flute. It has relation to Concert notes the same as an alto Saxophone.
  • C flute-These are the most common flutes. There are several minute variations. Some play to B3, others play to C3 as their lowest note. This with a B capable footjoint have the advantage of a Gizmo key, which aids greatly in the playing of C6. The highest common note is C6, though in Jazz playing, F6 is deemed possible. I wish I was that talented. Also, some of the keys are offset in relation to the rest. This is called an offset G flute. The keys are offset to allow those with shorter fingers to reach the pads.
  • Alto (G-flute)- This flute is a fourth lower then a C flute. An option in this flute is a J shaped head joint. This allows smaller people to play without stretching their arms further then comfortable. This flute is larger then a C flute and has a beautiful, lower tone. It takes more air and a more controlled style of playing to sound good.
  • Bass Flute-This is pitched an octave below the C flute, and is twice as large in both length and diameter. It also features a J shaped head joint. Bass flutes are usually found only in flute choirs, as they have a tendancy to sound like a french horn in ensemble situations.
  • Contrabass and lower flutes-Sometimes called OctoBass or Double-Contrabass flutes, these are mainly novelty, custom built items.

Some manufacturers of flutes are Selmer, Yamaha, Sankyo, Armstrong, Gemeinhardt, and a host of specialty craftsmen.