"And really, it looks like at least half the population will get Omicron. The question," says Qia, "is how much Long Haul it causes. If it causes 30-50%, like Delta, we are in serious trouble."

The angels are silent.

"Do you think it will?"

"I am hoping for under 10%." says Qia. "But of course I do not know."

Silence again.

"Why do you go to WORST CASE?" snaps Algernon. His wings rustle.

Qia blinks at him slowly.

She thinks about it. "It is the safest place to start."

Algernon frowns at her. Another angel slowly nods.

"If I start in the worst case scenario, I can face it. I have to think about it, work through it, plan for it. Then I can back off and hope for one of the less horrific scenarios."

"You are WEIRD." says Algernon.

Qia is annoyed. Her wings go bat and blood red.

"Word." whispers a very young angel.

"WHY?" snaps Qia, "WHY NOT face the worst?"

"Most people never do," says the moderator.

"What?" says Qia.

"Most people never face the worst. They don't want to. They are terrified. They are scared. They do things to avoid thinking about it. They skip that step and just go straight to hope."

Qia glares at her. The moderator smiles and her wings go black as pitch.

"We aren't PEOPLE. We are ANGELS." says Qia, nearly snarling.

Algernon laughs. "Yeah, well, some of us do not want to think about the worst either. That is Gawd(esses) job."

Qia is doubly pissed off to be crying. "No, we have to think too."

"Qia, I agree, but it is hard." says the moderator. "That is why you have the job you have. Because you are willing to go straight to the dark."

Qia has her face in her hands.

The angels surround her, soothing, and start to sing.

Palestrina.

_________________________
Balint group